After making the Thrift compile work “natively” on Windows, I started to develop my application in Visual Studio. It quickly turned to be inconvenient to not have language support for the Thrift IDL, which launched a deep dive into the extensibility of Visual Studio. After giving the “classic” C++ API a try, I quickly switched to the C# one. As the Managed Babel tools MPPG and MPLex did not work with the original language definition of the C++ Thrift compiler, I started using the Irony Language Implementation Kit and created a Visual Studio Language Service which you can get on Github.
The only important thing missing is a “Custom Tool” which invokes the compiler automatically from within Visual Studio.